Tuesday, 1 December 2009

Bradford Trip

I recently visited the National Media Museum in Bradford which I found to be very interesting. When I arrived I wasn't quite sure what the tour would be like, whether we would be aloud near old images or not. We were first shown the archives of the Herald newspaper and every photograph that had been in the paper would have been stored in that cupboard. We also got to see a very large collection of cameras that dating right back to Fox Talbot all the way up to your dslr's of today. After this we got to see some of the first daguerreotypes which i felt was a very special piece of photography to see as I may never get to see any photography like that again. I felt very privileged to have been able to be so up close with such old and priceless pieces of history. It was very interesting being in a building and throughout a day seeing the growth of photography through the ages. It is truly remarkable what photography has achieved. 

In the afternoon we had a talk with photographer Simon Roberts who in my opinion was brilliant. He gave a little introduction about his background and how he became a photographer. He then went on to talk about his two big projects 'Motherland' and 'We English'. He talked very passionately about his work not so much of the process he took to take them but why he was photographing there and the reason behind his images. I thought he was very funny and confident in his own work. I could see his love of photography through his talk and interaction with the group. It was a very pleasing talk to be a part of and I because of the small group that was there it made it feel personal. I learnt a lot from the day, I don't think ill take a photograph or granted in the future as It may have a use in the future. 

No comments: